Monday, September 21, 2009

The Last Sip of Summer...

Two suitcases, three wine keys, one journal, a camera, the latest edition of Wine Spectator, a map of Paris, a lingering taste of Sauvignon Blanc…

My plane arrived in Paris before the sun had risen, before the poissonnier had arrived at market, and even before the boulanger had pulled his bread from the oven.  Despite the jet lag and my exhaustion, I was eager to start my adventure in France, but I was still holding onto the memory of my last night in Santa Fe and the glass of wine that brought my summer to a close.

Just a few hours before I was to leave Santa Fe, the daunting task of packing up my entire life into two suitcases still loomed before me.  A pile of unfolded laundry covered my bed; shoes sprawled out of my closet as I was trying to decide between the strappy stilettos or the classic boots (I ended up taking both); and the clock was ticking as my flight to Paris got closer and closer.  I wasn’t about to let my last night in Santa Fe pass by, however, without hearing the laughter of my friends and, of course, drinking some wine.

For my last night in the United States, I drank Hall Sauvignon Blanc 2008 from the Napa Valley.  I figured it would be fitful since I would be headed to the region of Sancerre, the French home of Sauvignon Blanc, but I wanted to drink something New World before becoming completely immersed in French wine.  I also wanted something crisp and refreshing in my attempt to hold onto summer for as long as I could, despite the chilly autumn air.

Hall Sauvignon Blanc ($20) is just that -  clean and crisp on the palate, but aromatic with delightful notes of citrus and tropical fruit.  The wine’s fermentation is 100 percent stainless steel, allowing for a true expression of the grape’s flavors.  The grapes are primarily sourced from Yountville (a sub appellation of the Napa Valley), which, between the volcanic alluvial soil and the cool climate, gives perfect conditions for growing Sauvignon Blanc.  The resulting wine has flavors of grapefruit and peaches with a nice layer of minerality.

No comments:

Post a Comment