Sunday, September 20, 2009

Maryland Wine Festival

Though I’ve tried wines from all over and visited vineyards during my travels, the Maryland Wine Festival (two miles from my parents’ house) is still one of my favorites. Hosted at the Westminster Farm Museum, for 25 dollars you can taste as many wines as you want. Some of the wines were gems, though there were others that I could have done without- but trying them out was an adventure.

Maryland seems to have particularly good luck with fruit wines. I bought a bottle of Boordy Jazzberry wine, which goes well with cheesecake, fruit or by itself. In my refridgerator right now is a half finished bottle of Annapolis Sunset, a white wine with some great fruit undertones. On my way out, I tried a Chocolate Zinfandel, a masterful combination of two of my favorite things (wine and chocolate), but since I didn’t even note the name of the vineyard it might have to remain only a memory.

The best part of these festivals is that one enjoys wine, company and the outdoors all at once. While I understand the public drinking laws I do miss the European freedom of being able to enjoy a glass of wine in a piazza. Eating bread and cheese and sipping one wine while enjoying a sunny September day came pretty close.

No comments:

Post a Comment